Do you feel stuck in your career or feel like your personal goals just aren’t moving forward fast enough?
I wanted to share with you how you can advance in your personal life, with your career, and with what it is that you want for your family, and it comes back to that adage, “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.”
Before you roll your eyes and stop reading, let me tell you how it clicked for me a couple of years ago and how it has honestly been a game-changer in how I approach all of my goals.
Become your future self today. Don’t wait to become the woman that you want to be.
Dressing for the job you want, means…you know what job you want. So let’s take it a step further. Do you know who you want to be?
Here are some questions you can answer to help you visualize that:
- What are your goals?
- What’s the position that you want at work?
- What are the projects that you want to work on?
- How do you want your body to be?
- How do you want to feel?
- What do you want the relationship with your partner to be like?
- What do you want the relationship with your kids to be like?
- What material things do you want?
Take a moment to close your eyes and visualize the answers to these questions.
Take time to specify what thoughts your future self is thinking, what her habits are, and what she tells herself every day.
Think about it and write it down. Just humor me and write down who you are once you’ve achieved your goals.
When you’ve done that, what you need to do is start living like that today.
I know that might sound a little bit crazy, but it only sounds crazy because we create these weird rules for ourselves. You tell yourself, “I can’t get that promotion until I do X, Y, and Z.” “I can’t have that body I want until X, Y, and Z happens.”
Rather than waiting for these things to happen, we should just start thinking about what we can do in this moment to be the person that we want to be.
Seize the life you desire by embodying your future self starting today
You want that promotion at work; what do you look like in that role?
- Are you speaking up in meetings more?
- Are you taking on additional assignments?
- Are you turning down certain assignments?
- Are you making recommendations, or bringing solutions to other people in your organization?
If that’s what you would be doing in the role that you want, start doing it today.
If you start thinking about the body that you want, what are you doing when you finally have that body?
- Are you walking on a regular basis?
- Are you making healthier food choices?
- Are you working out?
- What are you doing when you’re in that body that you want?
Start doing that today. There’s no reason not to.
Start thinking about the relationship you have with your kids and where you want that to be:
- Are you more present when you’re talking to them?
- Are you closer to them?
- Are you putting your cell phone away and sitting on the floor and playing with them?
- When you’re in the car, are you turning the volume on the music down and having a conversation?
Dress in the attire of your aspirations, not the attire of your current position.
hat thoughts are you telling yourself when you are at that place that you want to be?
“Yes, I’ve succeeded. I’ve made it.”
“I’m a healthy person. I’m a smart person. I am a strong person.”
Start telling yourself those things today. There is no reason that you can’t look at who you want to be in the future.
Visualize it, feel it, understand who that future version of yourself is, and start taking a lot of the actions that that future self is taking already right now today.
When you do that, you’re going to pull yourself forward faster to who it is that you want to be.
So here’s the challenge. Take a look at all the different areas of your life, pick one, and say, “My future self at work looks like this” or “My future self with my family looks like this” or “My future with my health and my body looks like this.”
Pick one of those areas and answer these questions as your future self:
- What does your typical day look like?
- What will you be saying to yourself?
- How will you dress?
- How will you act?
- What will you be spending money on?
- What won’t you be spending money on?
- Where will you be spending your time?
- Where won’t you be spending your time?
Seize the life you desire by embodying your future self, starting today.
Write all that down and start today. This is really going to help you move forward with your goals.
It’s going to help you have more joy in life and I hope you want that for yourself enough to pause and actually take this action. So go ahead and get that life that you want by becoming your future self today.
If you want to get more strategies for boosting your career and bringing more joy into your days, please check out my podcast, The Savvy Working Mom, where we talk all about how you can find joy, advance your career, and love your life as a working mother.
Don’t forget to sign up for my free resource library. You’ll get free printable worksheets, workbooks, and checklists to help with goal setting, time management, and self-care for busy moms.
Let’s makeover your routine at How To Get Unstuck.